made some relish

Continuing on from my previous post I thought I'd share what I made with some of my homegrown cherry tomatoes. Roasted Tomato Relish! First I popped a bunch of tomatoes into a baking pan with some sprigs of oregano, some Italian parsley, sea salt, cracked black pepper and olive oil. I didn't chop anything up prior to tossing it into the pan and the parsley I just roughly shredded with my fingers. Leave to roast away for however long you wish. When I cook I don't time things and I don't measure ingredients unless it's absolutely necessary as it's more fun to make it up as I go along. Taste testing along the way. While roasting start chopping up some onion, garlic & a red chilli & start cooking that in a frying pan.

Ok, so once the tomatoes have roasted let them sit for a few minutes to cool before removing from the stems (unless of course you removed them from their stems prior to roasting). Remove the sprigs of oregano & transfer everything to the frying pan that you have your onion, garlic & chilli in. Add some more olive oil if needed. I then added some balsamic vinegar, raw sugar, more sea salt & cracked black pepper, curry powder & a little mustard. Let all that cook & then simmer for about an hour or so, keeping a check on the consistency & tasting along the way. Many people add cornflour when making relishes & chutneys but I never have. Also many people remove the skins from the tomatoes but I choose not to as they give the relish a nice texture. Add whatever herbs and spices you want to. What I've used is simply what I had on hand as I like to cook things that don't require me going out to buy a load of ingredients that I'll not likley use on a regular basis. Once your relish is ready, scoop it into a jar. You'll know by the consistency & super delicious taste when it's ready. If it's not quite tasting the way you would like, just continue adding stuff until it's awesome! Keep playing!

Don't have any sterilised jars? No problem! If wanting to sterilise an old jar you have on hand simply boil in some water for a while and you're good to go.

If wanting to dig into your relish straight away, then pop a spoon in the jar and slather a big pile on a sandwich. Relish is a really great addition to sandwich fillings but it's also pretty good on it's own spread onto some nice fresh bread.


Well in all the however many years I've been blogging I've just done my very first recipe/cooking style post. It was fun! Maybe I'll do some more in the future.