A Salute to Sparky

Charles "Sparky" Schulz, the creator of Peanuts, sadly passed away on this day in the year 2000. I'm truly baffled as to why this day isn't commemorated as one of the United Nations special observances. Sigh. The UN have declared 2008 as the International Year of the Potato. Ok, sure, I respect the positive role that the potato can play in providing food security & eradicating poverty & I like potatoes as much as the next person, but geez...c'mon Mr UN Secretary-General, what about Peanuts? Is there not room in 365 days of celebrating the attributes of the humble potato to indulge in one little day of Peanuts? Today should be officially proclaimed & observed as International Day of Peanuts. A day to heighten & promote public awareness of the greatness that is Peanuts (to include a Public Holiday to commemorate such an important observance is highly recommended). February 12th should indeed be a day to pay tribute to Mr Schulz, respectively acknowledging & highlighting the contribution he made towards creating a better world. Yes, an invitation to all nations & people to honour the memory of the man who gave birth to Charlie Brown. The man who created a perfectly imperfect character, allowing us to embrace our faults & celebrate our inadequacies. Yay! Charles M. Schulz lives on through his work as a global ambassador of unique & subtle humour...& li'l folk neurosis. You're the Greatest, Charles Schulz.


You so NEED The Complete Peanuts in your life if you're a Peanuts fan. This series of books published by Fantagraphics contains every strip Schulz ever created. Every 6 months a new book is released & each edition contains 2 years of strips. A total of 25 volumes will be printed. Volume 9 is scheduled for release in May & it will include an introduction by filmmaker John "Pope of Trash" Waters! Can't wait to read THAT intro!

Well, I'm not waiting for a response from the United Nations so I'll get the ball rolling on this one. So...

Happy International Day of Peanuts!

Comments

jodie said…
*childhood memories of Charlie Brown flooding through my head*

I'm all for peanuts replacing potato! ;)
Snoopy and Lucy and Schroeder....who was the one always walking in a cloud of dust?

Thanks for the memories!
Hey Harriet said…
High Desert Diva - Dust boy was called Pigpen. Many can't remember the name of the lovable little messy one :)
Anonymous said…
I liked the strange boy who played the little piano, and the one who wandered round with a blanket. So Happy Peanuts Day to you.
Thanks for visiting my blog too!
Mary Ann said…
I agree. Here in the US we honor Dr. Suess on his B-Day. Peanuts brings back memories of reading it in the comics with my Dad. Thanks for the memories.
Kris said…
I am so with you on this one! I love, love, love peanuts. I love them all and my kids know all about them because they are constantly in my vocabulary! (You know, some kid has a "Pigpen moment", another has a "Snoopy as vulture look", or "don't go all Linus on me!".) I'm sorry I missed International Day of Peanuts. Maybe we should have a day a month to honour Peanuts!
keiren said…
I love Peanuts! Great post!